From subsistence farming to agri-business
For African farmers to successfully feed the continent’s expanding population, transformation of subsistence smallholder farming into commercial agri-businesses is essential. But how to achieve this transformation? Delegates from the African Green Revolution Forum offer their views about the importance of collective marketing, in order to obtain better prices and other benefits such as financial credit. Staying up to date with new technologies, such as disease-resistant crop varieties, is also crucial. However, the benefits from such changes will affect not only farmers and consumers but those working right along the food value chain, whether in transport, processing or retail.
You are free to use the audio files for personal or public use. If used in a radio broadcast, please credit the correspondent who submitted the report, with Agfax as the source. Audio items may be edited as required, so long as the meaning of any sections used is not distorted from that intended by the speaker. If you are in any doubt, please contact us and we will be happy to advise.
To be notified when new Agfax reports come online, write your email address in the box below.
- Tree planting to boost farm production
- Agribusiness - inspiring the next generation
- Cassava - surviving in the face of climate change
- Online knowledge bank to combat plant pests
- Attracting, training and empowering young farmers
- Making nitrogen fertiliser the natural way
- Charcoal from bamboo - the greener option